Monday, November 9, 2015

The Land of the Kiwi

Sometimes I feel very cosmopolitan. There's of course the whole being-married-to-a-Scottish-guy thing and the living-in-Paris thing which add to that feeling. Right now I'm living this crazy fantastical life in which I don't have to earn money and can experience on a daily basis the most popular tourist destination in the world. On Tuesday morning at my yoga class, after sharing my reason for moving to France, I was high-fived by a professional singer from Los Angeles who is in Paris shooting a music video. Is this even real?

Indeed, to make me seem even more sophisticated and well-traveled, Rory and I will be on an airplane to New Zealand four hours from now. Apparently it's not enough to live in vacation-land; we still have to take vacations too. But we're not just going for a holiday. Rory was invited by a colleague at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch to finish working on a linguistics project they had started together at Ohio State. So we'll be spending three weeks on the south island, Rory working for two of those weeks, and the rest of the time will be spent touring the countryside and being engulfed in the natural beauty of the other Land Down Under.

After nearly three months in Paris, I'm really looking forward to being surrounded by hills and sheep and very few people. And hearing English when I walk out the door will be nice too, even if it is a funny-sounding English. I've heard that New Zealand is like the Scotland of the southern hemisphere (sheep and funny accents), so it should be a lovely change of pace from the busy streets of Paris.

We'll take photos and share our travel stories soon, but in the meantime, here are some pretty pictures I took of Paris.

I stumbled upon a magical little neighborhood on a hill.

A carved pumpkin! How rare!

A very friendly neighborhood feline

Roses at Square Severine

Beautiful foliage at Square Severine

Kids playing at Le Square Edouard Vaillant

This is a memorial for the Jewish children from this neighborhood who were deported by the Nazis.

Vroooom!


No comments:

Post a Comment