Sunday, October 25, 2015

57% fluent in french, whatever that means

My dear husband has a PhD in linguistics. He's been studying language for the past ten years. One might incorrectly assume that he would have fluency in several languages under his belt by now, especially having grown up in multilingual Europe. Rory can teach you about phonological processing and phonetic reduction, individual differences in speech production, and even the Acazulco Otomi word for “potato”. He's a very smart and knowledgeable guy when it comes to Language with a capital L. But as he is fond of saying, “Learning a language is hard.”
Autumn in Paris from the Bois de Boulogne on our Journée sans Anglais
Indeed it is. Being plonked down into a foreign country where you don't really speak the language is quite challenging at times. Even though according to Duolingo I'm 57% fluent in French after six months of individual study, more often than not, I don't understand the conversations happening around me on the subway, in stores, and most embarrassingly, when I am trying to be an active participant. For an adult who has prided herself on being reasonably articulate and skilled at communication, it's a bit of a sucker punch to the ego when a child speaks to me in French and I have to look at her with a perplexed and apologetic expression on my face like, I only caught one word you said and you're making me so nervous that I can't even think how to say in French that I didn't understand you. Please don't think I'm a weirdo or a complete idiot, or worse, an American.


Rest assured, I have been studying and learning and making a lot of progress with my French. For example, last week, I somehow “volunteered” to coordinate logistics for a two-weekend Baha'i study circle event, meaning that I had to contact about fifteen Parisians and ask if they would provide lunches or childcare for a group of 15-20 people. I was expected to call people I didn't know, on the phone, in French. I've had anxiety about calling people since I was ten years old, but to have to do it in a foreign language...*shudders*


Well, I spent about a day gathering the courage, writing out and practicing a bunch of possible scripts for the calls, looking up French phone expressions, Facebook friending the people I was about to call, and generally being terrified any time I touched my phone. That evening, I started calling people. And for the next several days, I left messages entirely in French. I had calls that began in French and switched into English when I couldn't explain myself anymore. I emailed and texted people in French (WAY easier than calling, let me tell you). And on the weekends, I brought snacks to the gatherings and interacted with people in French (“Quoi de neuf, Talia?” “Pas beaucoup,” I said smoothly). I still panic every time my phone rings, but the experience of successfully communicating in my new language really energized and emboldened me.


Not everyone gets to be shoved into the deep end of the language-learning pool like I just did, so if you're studying a new language, here are some of the other tools and activities I've found useful.
  • Duolingo: An online site that turns language-learning into a game. There are 23 languages available, including Klingon! It does get a little repetitive after 20 levels or so, since the format doesn't change or get harder as you go. But it's great for learning vocabulary, conjugations, and phrases.
  • Quizlet: A site that allows you to create flashcards (or use other people's flashcards), then study them using a variety of strategies and games.
  • Comme Une Française: A great website with lots of videos on authentic French language usage, explanations about daily life in France, common mistakes French learners make, and tons more. It's run by Géraldine Lepère, a young woman who acts as teacher and mentor and helps people (particularly expats living in France) feel more at home with French living.
  • Cercle International de l'ARC: If you happen to move to Paris and want to practice conversing in French without paying 12 euros for a speed-dating style Franglish event, The International Circle of the ARC is an organization where you can meet up with people from around the world and talk in French with the guidance of a native French speaker (it seems to be retired people who serve as these French animateurs). It's only 10 euros for the whole year and there are three 2-hour sessions five days a week.
  • Children's books in French: Local libraries probably have some. I enjoyed reading Madeline, Harry Potter, and have started on Le Petit Prince. Comic books are really popular in France. Not the superhero kind like in America, but the graphic novel kind and classics like Asterix. Pictures help a lot when reading a new language!
  • Netflix: There are quite a few movies and TV series in French (or other languages), and you can always add subtitles. We started with English subtitles when watching in the US, but now that we're in France, they only have French subtitles. I just started a popular comedy series called Fais pas ci fais pas ça. It really helps to watch the acting, hear the French, and read the French text—it's more effective than just studying a language book.
  • Journée sans Anglais: Rory and I just started having a Day Without English. Yesterday, we managed without English for many hours and it improved our fluency and understanding. Of course, it helps to have someone to talk to in whatever language you're speaking. It's a little awkward by yourself...But lacking a language buddy, you can always just have an inner monologue in the other language.

We've lived in France for two months now, and I still feel like a complete numpty (great scottish word) when it comes to speaking in French. But I'm getting better! And everyone assures me that by the time I leave Paris, I'll be très natural at the language. For now, I'll keep perfecting my look of polite confusion.

1 comment:

  1. Many, many years ago, I read James Michener book (can't recall which one) in which he writes about learning a language with a tutor. It may even have been French. Anyway, his tutor came to his house for several weeks and just spoke non-stop. One day, she saw in his eyes a flash of recognition of words. This was the first time he was able to distinguish one word from another as she spoke. At this point she began to actually teach him the language. I always thought that was an interesting approach to teaching language - probably why it stayed with me for so many years. Anyway, it will come. I remember as I was learning Spanish in Ecuador, I reached a point where I felt like I was not fluent in either English or Spanish. Just part of the process I guess.

    ReplyDelete